Shalmalee Sunil Joshi [Jaipuri Atrauli Gharana]
Education And Training:
- 1994: Bachelor of Commerce Degree with first class from the Shivaji University, Kolhapur. (Maharashtra)
Hindustani Classical Training
During my days in college, I used to sing semi-classical songs, which to my delight were highly appreciated. This initial encouragement prompted me to strive hard in rendering this form of music as well. I enjoy singing Tappa, Thumri, Dadra, Tarana, Hori, Kajari, Regional Folk Music and Devotional Hindi & Marathi Bhajans in their traditional manner.
1975 – 1984: Informal Primary Training under Mrs. Madhuri Kulkarni, (mother)
Basic lessons in Hindustani Classical Music began at an early age of three in Sangli (a city host to many a great musical stalwarts of the yesteryears like late Pt. Dinanath Mangeshkar, Ustad Abdul Karim Khan, Pt. Vishnudas Bhave and many others who had spent many years in Sangli, Maharashtra State), a city rich in its traditional associaYour browser may not support display of this image.tion with Hindustani classical music.
1984 -1991: Tutelage under Pt. C. T. Mhaiskar (Chintubua), a renowned musical teacher for 8 years.
1991 – 1993: Self Study and a deeper understanding process of the Indian Classical Music.
1993 – 1995: Disciple of Smt. Padma Talwalakar, noted Hindustani vocalist for two and half years.
- In this period, learnt the finer points in the Gayaki of Three Gharanas, viz., Jaipur-Atrauli, Kirana and Gwalior.
- Focused on the finer aspects of presentation necessary for a performing artist to be successful in concerts.
- Learnt the nuances of bringing about a harmonious synthesis of vocal music with the accompanying artists.
- Learn the art of maintaining a fine balance between the various stages of the development of a raga during performances.
From 1995 till date: specialization under the Jaipuri Atrauli Gharana. Tutelage under Pt. Ratnakar Pai, senior exponent of Jaipur gharana and a renowned music teacher (Disciple of Late. Pt. Mohanrao Palekar & Late Gullubhai Jasadunwalla)He has also trained stalwarts like Pt.Jitendra Abhisheki, Dr. Bhalchandra Patekar and Pt. Narendra Kanekar etc. Pt. Ratnakar Pai has received the Distinguished Leadership Award from the American Biographical Institute Inc. (USA) and his name was included in the International Directory of Distinguished Leadership (2nd Edition) for outstanding professional performance.
1993 – 1996: Learnt the fundamentals and the finer points of the taal and laya (tabla beats which have to synchronize with the vocals of the performer, an important aspect in the Indian classical music) from Pandit Suresh Talwalkar, a senior exponent of tabla.
Formal Education in Music
November 2004: Completed Sangeet Visharad from Akhil Bharatiya Gandharva Mahavidyalaya (First Class) and appeared for Sangeet Alankar from Akhil Bharatiya Gandharva Mahavidyalaya
The Following summary highlights various scholarships that I received during the course of my entire career.
- “Surshri Kesarbai Kerkar Scholarship”, instituted by the National Center for Performing Arts, (NCPA) Mumbai , 1997
- Scholarship from “Sajan Milap Mumbai”, 1995
- Merit Scholarship from “Dadar Matunga Cultural Center Mumbai” (Reputed Organisation in the field of Indian Performing Arts), 1994
- Scholarship from Pt. K.G.Ginde Smruti Puraskar (Only candidate selected from India) Mumbai, 1998.
- Fellowship for 2 years from “Acharya Ratanjankar Foundation Mumbai”, 1998 and 1999.
- Award from Acharya Ratanjankar Foundation & Late.Pt.K.G.Ginde Smruti Puraskar (Only candidate selected from India)Mumbai,December 1998.
- Received the outstanding performer award given by Ganvardhan, Pune for 1998-99.
- Sur-Shree Kesarbai Kerkar Award - National Level- From N.C.P.A. Mumbai.
Late Dr. Madhav Shankar Karve Award in Classical Music, from Ganvardhan, prestigious musical institution in Pune, India, sponsored by Mrs. Hema Karve (England), 1997
Late Sitaram Ganesh Dixit Award in Semi Classical Music, from Ganvardhan, prestigious musical institution in Pune, India, sponsored by Dr. Sharadkumar Dixit (USA) and Mrs. Prabha Thakur, 1997.
- Between the years 1987 – 1997, won several competitions conducted in Mumbai and several other cities.
- Stood First in Classical and Semi Classical Music of Akashwani – AIR West Zone, Sangli, 1988.
- All India Radio & Doordarshan graded artist from 1995.
- Empaneled artist of Indian Council for Cultural Relations New Delhi from 2003.
- Acknowledged as a renowned task teacher of classical & semi classical music & empaneled as a judge for many prestigious classical / semi classical competitions held in India.
- Released cassette & CD entitled as “A Touching Melody” – Raga Bhoop, Jaitashree & classical Bhajan commercially released in July-1999. (BBS production Mumbai. Tabala - Mr. Yogesh Samsi & Harmonium- Mr. Makarand Kundale)
- Released cassette & CD entitled “Flowering Buds” Raga Gujari Todi, Bihagda, and classical Bhajan composed by Mr. Sunil Joshi, in Nov-2005. (Swaranjali- Mumbai.Tabala – Mr. Vishwanath Shirodkar & Harmonium-Smt. Seema Shirodkar).
- Released cassette & CD entitled “Shree Ram Japo”. (Bhajans written by Saint Tulsidas & music composed by Mr. Sunil Joshi- April-2006. BBS production Mumbai).
- Released of an album comprising Marathi Bhajans of Lord Ganpathi entitled“Namo-Bodharupa” sung by Mr.Suresh Wadkar & music compose by Mr. Sunil Joshi-September-07 (Omkar Audio- Mumbai).
- Projects underway :- Bhajans of Saint Tulsidas Shree Krishna- Japo, classical Tarana only, Marathi Bhavgeet, Thumariya, Sai- Bhajans & only Bhairavi collections etc.
Performing Experience, Other Professional Activities And Achivements.
Performed at numerous prestigious concerts in Mumbai, Goa, Pune, Delhi, Bangalore, Belgaum, Bhopal, Indore, Hoshangabad, Baroda, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Alwar, Shreeganganagar, Kundagol, Dharwad, Hubli, Gulbarga, Shimoga, Raighad, Nasik, Sangli, Miraj, Parbhani, Nagpur, Aurangabad, Panji, Madgaon, Mapusa & at several other cities in India.
C/O. Shri. Sunil Madhavrao Joshi.
A-2, ICICI Bank Staff Quarters,
Datta-pada Road, Borivali (E),
Mumbai - 400066.