Born on 14th Nov 1979 , Pushkar started learning light music at the age of 3 years. Since 1984 he was tutored iight years. He then took lessons from Pt. Vijay Koparkar (Disciple of Pt. Vasantrao Deshpande and Pt. Jitendra Abhisheki) for about eight years. Pushkar then received the guidance of Guru Pt.Vijay Sardeshmukh (senior disciple of Pt. Kumar Gandharva). Currently he is imbibing the research work of Pt. Satyasheel Deshpande (also a disciple of Pt. Kumar Gandharva). A rigorous study of more than two decades with all these renowned and able Gurus has enriched him with a rich fund of knowledge. He is currently pursuing his MA (Music) from Lalit Kala Kendra (Centre for Performing Arts), University of Pune. He also holds a Diploma in Public Relations and Corporate Communications from Xavier Institute of Communications, Mumbai.
Pushkar is a recipient of the Central Government scholarship for classical vocal music awarded by the Centre for Cultural Resources and Training (CCRT) as well as the scholarship from the Department of Culture, Government of India. He has featured on E-TV (Marathi) Channel, 'Sur-Taal' programme on Zee Marathi Channel, Doordarshan (Sahyadri) Channel and has been exclusively interviewed on Akashwani Sydney and on Radio Gandharva and Surabhi Channels on Worldspace Satellite Radio.
A graded artiste of the AIR, he also presents Natyasangeet, Bhavgeet, Bhajan, Tappa, Thumri, Dadra, Hori and other semi-classical and folk forms with exceptional ease and expertise.
- Ramarjun Award instituted by Vidya Mahamandal, Pune.
- Firodia Award instituted by eminent industrialist Late Mr. Navalmal Firodia.
- Pandit Vishnu Digambar Paluskar Award (2001) of Sharada Sangeet Vidyalaya,Mumbai.
- Rotary Yuva Gaurav Puraskaar, Pune (2001)
- Sudha-Sindhu Award, instituted by ‘Sur-Sangat’, Pune (2003)
- Late Shri. Jaywant & Late Smt. Vasanti Paingankar Smruti Puraskaar (2004) instituted by Pandit Jasraj MitraMandal Public Trust, Pune.
- Late Shri. Sitaram & Late Smt. Malati Dixit Smruti Puraskar (2004) instituted by Ganavardhan, Pune.
- Dr.Vasantrao Deshpande Yuva Kalakaar Puraskaar (2004) instituted by Dr.Vasantrao Deshpande Memorial Foundation, Chinchwad.
- ‘Sur Mani’ by Sur-Singar Samsad, Mumbai (2004)
- Gayanacharya Ramkrishnabua Vaze Puraskaar given to outstanding artistes by Gandharva Mahavidyalaya, Pune (2004)
- Narubhau Limaye Puraskaar (2005) instituted by the Yashwantrao Chavan Pratishthan, Mumbai
- Sudhir Phadke Yuvonmesh Puraskaar (2006) instituted by Indradhanu, Thane.
- Sanatan Sangeet Puraskaar (2009) instituted by Sanaatan Sangeet Sanskriti, New Delhi, given to distinguished young artistes in recognition for their outstanding contribution to Hindustani Music. Past recipients of this award include music maestros like U. Shrinivas and A R Rahman.
Pushkar's debut public performance was at the age of 7 years during Dattajayanti Festival in Pune. He now tours frequently all over India and abroad giving performances at many prestigious music conferences. Some noteworthy amongst them are:
- ‘Darbar Hall’ of Laxmi Vilas Palace - Vadodara
- Hubli, Bantwal, Karkala and Shimoga Art Circles - Karnataka
- Sahyadri Swaramanch, Gandharva Mahavidyalaya, Gandharva Rasik Mandal,Sadhana-Kalamancha, Sur-sauvardhan, Bharat Gayan Samaj, Ganavardhan, Rotary club, Cipla Palliative Care and Research Centre, Bharat Natya Sanshodhan Mandir, Maharashtra Cultural Centre, Gudi-Padwa Utsav at the Taj Blue Diamond,‘Kamayani’, Ramkrishna Muth, Millenium Music Circle, Kesari Marattha Trust, Pune Festival, ‘Raseeya’, Symphonie Events, Sangeet Pratibha Festival by Sangeet Natak Academy - Pune
- Balkrishnabua Sangeet Sadhana Mandal – Ichalkaranji
- Maifil, Dr. Vasantrao Deshpande Smriti Samaroha by South Central Zone Cultural Centre (SCZCC), Sauvadi, Saptak, Kalidaas Festival - Nagpur
- National Centre for Performing Arts (NCPA), Dadar - Matunga Cultural Centre, Nehru Centre, Karnatak Sangha, 'Uttunga' Sauskritik Parivar Trust (Vile Parle),‘Ajivasan’, Mumbai Education Trust, Guru Poornima Utsav at the Taj, Holi Utsav at ITC Grand Maratha Sheraton, ‘Kal Ke Kalakaar Sangeet Sammelan’ by ‘Sur-Singar Samsad’, Yashwantrao Chavan Centre, Maharashtra Seva Sangha (Mulund), ‘Sapt- Rang’ by the Drishti Foundation, Chicago held at the Leela Kempenski, ‘A Tribute to The Great Saints of India’ at the ITC Grand Maratha Sheraton, ‘Chaitrapalavi’ by Chaturanga Pratishthan, IMG Brittania Library- St. Xavier’s College, ‘Aarohi by Pancham-Nishad, ‘Nadabrahma-Boriwali’ – Mumbai
- Gayan Samaj Dewal Club – Kolhapur
- Shiwanand Pratishthan – Dombivili
- Kalyan Gayan Samaj- Kalyan
- 'Pancham’, ‘Swaragandha’ – Akola
- ‘Swar-Sangam’- Sangamner
- ‘Saptak’, ‘The Genius’- Nashik
- Vilasrao Deshmukh Pratishthan, Latur
- Yogi Sitaraam Maharaj Tembye Sansthan, Amravati
- ‘Khalvayan’, - Ratnagiri
- ‘Abhiruchi’, - Karad
- Shivanand Swami Sangeet Mahotsav - Aundh
- Samraat Club- Sawantwadi
- Ajanta-Ellora Festival (Curtain Raiser) – Aurangabad
- Parampara Evam Samagaman Festival organized by Ustad Allauddin Khan Sangeet Evam Kala Academy- Narsinghpur, MP
- Kala Academy (Panjim), ‘Vasco Damodar Utsav’, Shantadurga Temple (Calangute), Pt. Jitendra Abhisheki Smriti Samaroha, Smt. Anjanibai Malpekar Smriti Samaroha - Goa
- Mitra Vartul Trust – Bhavnagar, Gujrath
- Mamasaheb Mujumdar Smriti Samaroha, Late Sharad and Madhav Khargonkar Smriti Samaroha- Indore
- Shree Gajanan Maharaj Devasthan Nyas, Tansen Samaroha - Gwalior
- Surmandal – Hyderabad
- Devnandan Ubhayekar Yuva Sangeet Utsav - Bangalore
- Pandit V.D.Paluskar Jayanti Sangeet Samaroha, VSK Baithak, Shriram Shankarlal Music Festival, HCL Concert Series at the India Habitat Centre, ‘Shadaj’ – New Delhi
Sawai Gandharva Music Festival – Kundgol
Drishti Foundation, Bijapur
Chatrapati Shivaji Mandal, Dewas MP
Pushkar has performed in the ‘Genius and Wizardry’ Festival of Indian Classical Music at Pandit Jasraj Auditorium New York, USA.
Pushkar had a successful concert tours of Australia in 2005 and 2008. He has also performed in Dubai and Abu Dhabi in UAE in 2007 as well as in Singapore.
Pushkar has also given many private performances and has been showered with blessings and appreciation by musicologists , critics and stalwarts of classical music like Dr. Gangubai Hangal, Late Shri. P.L.Deshpande, Late Pandit Chota Gandharva, Gundecha Brothers, Ustad Sultan Khan, Smt. Malini Rajurkar, Pandit Jasraj, Ganasaraswati Smt. Kishori Amonkar, Pandita Girijadevi and many others.
Pushkar's gayaki has evolved from an intense and deep study of the musical ideology of Pt Kumar Gandharva. It is like lifting the Shiva-Dhanushya! Guided by his Guru Pt. Vijay Sardeshmukh and Pt. Satyasheel Deshpande on this path, Pushkar has showcased his deep understanding of the spirituality and the musical intricacies of this gayaki. Kumarji’s style is not something that can be absorbed by mere imitation. One has to master the thought process that goes behind singing and grammar of a Raga, apart from some unique ornamentation. To the listeners, Pushkar’s music not only leaves a soothing effect for the ears but is also a visual treat. Unlike (the very common) singers who follow the traditional and stereotyped rule of concentrating only on the strict parameters of a composition, he comes across as a storyteller and communicator while he sings. His ability to engage the audience by direct eye contact, perfect diction, romancing with the poetry, appropriate emphasis on words and superb timing is mind-boggling! Today, he is one of the rarest artistes who can give a true feel of Kumarji’s tradition.
Pushkar has many recordings to his credit, four of which have been brought out by Alurkar Music House, Pune on CDs/Cassettes featuring Pushkar’s presentation of the finest evening and night ragas. Another album titled ‘Srujan Dwitiya’ has been brought out by Rainbow Music Company, Pune and consists of bandish-s composed by the talented composer-harmonium player Chaitanya Kunte. More recordings are in the pipeline to be brought out in the market soon.
A highly spiritual person, Pushkar has emerged today as an international artiste whose style reflects an aesthetic blend of contemplation in music and technical excellence. A cerebral musician that Pushkar is, his maturity and understanding far exceeds his age. His highly intellectual and emotional insight into his music makes him a class apart. Gifted with a sweet and sonorous voice seasoned with years of practice, a bright future no doubt awaits Pushkar.
773/1-A, Flat No. 101,
Next to Kamla Nehru Park,