Dr. Mohankumar Darekar
Is one of today’s widely acclaimed performers, gifted with a powerful, well trained voice that traverses with ease over three octaves, while displaying perfect diction, purity in ‘sur' and a very good command over ‘tala’ and ‘laya’ allowing him to create complex and rhythmically very attractive ‘tanas’ and ‘sargam’ combinations.
His very personal style is a beautiful blend mainly of the Agra and Jaipur Gharanas, accented by elements of Banaras and Gwalior Gharanas – a style which, by giving expression to intense ‘bhakti’, touches the souls of all his listeners.
For over 15 years he has received systematic training under his illustrious Guruji, the late Pandit Jitendra Abhisheki. For his PhD he took guidance from Dr Vikas Kashalkar who, after the passing of his beloved Guruji, also gave him further instructions in the style of the Gwalior Gharana. Presently Dr Darekar is taking training from Pandits Rajan and Sajan Mishra in the style of the Banaras Gharana. In addition he has learned Dhrupad and Dhamar from Ustad Saiuddin Dagar.
Scholarships, Awards and Honours
- All India Radio Vocalist – Grade A
- The Central Government Scholarship in Vocal Music
- The Girijabai Kelekar Scholarship, Goa
- Felicitation by the Mayor of Pune for outstanding work in Music
- Felicitation by Sangeet Unmesh
Performances & Broadcasts
- Indian Social Club, Muscat
- Maharashtra Mandal, Abudhabi
- Savai Gandharva Music Festival, Pune (Dec 2000 & Dec 2008)
- NCPA Mumbai
- Gharana Baithak, Delhi
Regular programs in national media (Doordarshan and Akashvani)
Abhisheki Smurti Mohatsav: Aurangabad, Manipal, Nashik, Panaji, Vasco, Goa, Hyderabad
- Doctoral Panel of Advisors, Akhil Bharatiya Gandharva Mahavidyalaya Mandal, Mumbai
- Lecture demonstrations – Music Quest, University of Women’s Association ; S.N.D.T. College, Pune
Recognised Guru (Master Class), Dept. of Music, Pune University
Teaching Indian and foreign students since 1986
Dr Mohankumar Darekar is the Founder President of Swaranjali, a charitable institution, founded to propagate classical music to the youth and encourage, support and preserve the art of the vocal recital through performances and related educational activities as well as the support of those Gurus and disciples who are striving to pursue and preserve the great tradition of Indian Classical Music.
Dr. Mohankumar Darekar
Flat No.C-303, 4th Floor
38/1 Alaknanda Korthrud
Korthrud, Pune 411 038