Suryaksha Deshpande is fortunate enough to have a good Literary and Musical heritage . His father Shri.Prakash Deshpande is a retired Professor of English and an eminent writer and critic in Marathi and his mother Prof. Hema Deshpande herself is a vocalist, disciple of Pt. Babanrao Haldankar veteran of Agra Gharana).
He has taken tremendous efforts in balancing his academic career and Tabla training.1977 born, Science Graduate Suryaksha is a disciple of renowned scholar and performer Pt. Arvind Mulgaonkar of Farrukhabaad Gharana (senior disciple of Ustad Amir Hussein Khan Sahab) . He has also received training of "Delhi Baaz" from Pt. Sudhir Mainkar - a great Musicologist - disciple of Inam Ali Khan Sahab of Delhi Gharana. He has achieved excellence in competitions held by reputed organisations like Dader-Matunga Cultural Centre, Vallemama Tabla competition (Mumbai) Kanthe Maharaj Smriti Samaroh (Aurangabad) and was also felicitated with prestigious V. D. Paluskar Award ( Mumbai).
He has a great national honour at his credit having secured First Class First Rank in Tabla Alankar (Masters Degree) Exam held by Akhil Bhartiya Gandharva Mahavidyalaya.
He is also a recipient of the prestigious National scholarship awarded by the Dept.of Culture,Govt. Of India
He is an 'A' Grade artiste of All India Radio and Doordarshan.
He has proved his versatile skills as a soloist as well as an accompanist. He has performed extensively in different parts of India .He has accompanied Padmabhushan Dr.N.Rajam (violin),Padmashee Pt. D.K. Datar (violin), Padmashee Pt.Satish Vyas(satoor),Pt. Ulhas Bapat (santoor),Smt.Ashwini Bhide - Deshpande (vocal),Shri. Jayteerth Mevundi (vocal),Shri.Ravindra Chary (sitar) and many others.
- Article on 'Laya-Laykari' in Sangeet Kala Vihar.
- Article on 'U.Zakir Hussain ' in souvenir at the Mumbai festival.
- Article on Pt. Suresh Talwalkar in the book 'Tabla' released at the Felicitation ceremony of Pt. Sureshji's 60th birthday.
Cassettes and CDs :
- Has accompanied Pt.Babanrao Haldankar in his set of four cassettes named Raspiya.
- He has to his credit a Solo Tabla CD released by Musician's Guild which contains Teen Taal and Pancham Sawari .
- He was recently awarded with the Fellowship for Junior Artist By The Dept. Of Culture,India.
- His tour to USA and Canada proved to be a great success.