Sudip Kumar Chatterjee[Banaras Gharana]
Sudip Kumar Chatterjee, a tabla player of the Banaras Gharana, was born on 19th May 1983 at Howrah in West Bengal. His father was Late Tridib Kumar Chatterjee. His mother, Smt. Madhumita Chatterjee, M.Mus., (Rabindrasangeet, Nazrulgeeti, Vocal Music) is also an accomplished musician (singer). Sudip inherited his musical flare from his maternal side, largely inspired by his maternal granny, Smt. Puspita Banerjee, who was insistent to Sudip's mother to make him learn the tabla. Thereafter he started learning the tabla from a teacher, whose farraginous talim failed to create any interest in the mind of the young boy.
The year 1997 brought in a big tragedy in the family, when Sudip's father left for his heavenly abode too untimely. They were left with no option than to move into Sudip's maternal grandpa, Sri Birendra Kumar Banerjee's house in Howrah, who steered them through as a saviour during the period of acute crisis. In 1998, his grandpa requested Professor Nitin Chatterjee, a disciple of Pt. Samta Prasad, to teach tabla to his affectionate grandson. Prof. Chatterjee made Sudip his disciple by fastening a ganda (a red thread traditionally tied in the hand of a disciple by his guru as a symbol of his own blood being passed on to the disciple to make him his own son) and set off with his intrinsic talim with Sudip.
During the initial days of his learning, he used a wooden tabla for practise. Currently he practises for six hours a day. He has an aspiration to perform in foreign countries to enlighten the face of his venerable guruji and the members of his family. He has already gathered the experience of rendering his performances in famous auditoriums of Kolkata, like "Rabindra Sadan", "Kala Mandir" and "Nazrul Manch" with his guruji. More details of his performances and achievements are put a few paragraphs below.
He has completed his M.Mus. from B.S.P. In the academic front, he is a graduate (B.Com., 2005) from the University of Calcutta. He has recently been admitted to the Rabindra Bharati University with special honours course in tabla.
He is currently learning the tabla also under PANDIT MALLAR GHOSH, SON AND DISCIPLE OF GREAT GURU PANDIT JNAN PRAKASH GHOSH.
He looks forward to blessings and good wishes from all concerned towards attaining a position in tabla in the universe, as a top of the line player.
- Achieved the Santana Panza Memorial Shield (1st prize) at the All Bengal Music Competition in 2002
- Stood 2nd in tabla in the All India Merit Test by Sarbabharatiya Sangeet O Sanskriti Parishad, Kolkata and achieved the Silver Medal from there in 2008.
- Achieved the N. N. Chatterjee Challange Cup (in 2003, 2004, 2006) at the Inter-Collegiate Oriental Music Competition organised by the Calcutta University Institute
- Achieved the Maya Mitra Memorial Instrumental Prize from Sri Aurobindo Institute of Culture, Kolkata;
- Stood 2nd and achieved Ustaad Keramat Ullah Khan Memorial Prize from Serampore, Hoogly
- Promoted to M.Mus (Tabla, 1st Class) and achieved the Sangeet Ratna Award from Bangiya Sangeet Parishad Promoted to B.A. (Spl.Hons) in Percussion Music with 1st class from RABINDRA BHARATI UNIVERSITY in 2008
- Achieved "SAnggeet Bivakar" (M.Mus in Tabla with 1st class) from "Sarba Bharatiya Sangeet o Sanskriti Parishad" and from "Nikhil Bharat Sangeet Samity" in 2008.
- The Calcutta University Institute
- Birla Academy Of Art And Culture
- Sri Ramakrishna Vedanta Math
- Kamarhati Nazrul Mancha, Kolkata
- Surobitan Sangeet Shikhaytan, Mecheda, Midnapore
- Saraswata Liabrary Hall, Shibpur, Howrah
- Sri Aurobindo Institute Of Culture, Kolkata
- Lahabari Music Conference, Kolkata.
- Dignity Foundation, Kolkata Chapter.
- Concert "Swagata Basanta" at ChhatuBabu & LatuBabu's house, Kolkata.
- Customs House, Kolkata.
- Kolkata Rathyatra Festival, organised by ISKCON, Kolkata.
- "Suchetana", Shibpur, Howrah.
- Poets Foundation,Kolkata