Sri Ganesh [Mridangam Artiste]
Born in a musical family in a small town Lalgudi in Tamilnadu Ganesh had an early inclination towards rhythm and started learning mridangam at the age of ten from Chidambaram Late Shri. V. Nataraja Iyer in New Delhi. Under his able guidance he could prove his worth as a successful accompanist to music concerts. Later in 1985, Ganesh switched over to dance accompaniment and also started taking advance training from Kalaimamani Shri. A. Prem Kumar of All India Radio, New Delhi. With his dedication and hard work ganesh gradually became one of the most sought after Mridangist in the capital. He also learnt the skills of doing Nattuvangam (conductor of the dance orchestra) and became a successful Nattuvanar too. In both capacities he has accompanied all top ranking dancers of India. He has widely traveled all over the globe to coutries like East Asia, East Africa, USSR, Europe, Middle East, Morocco, The United States, Canada etc. Also trained to play Kanjira, Ganesh has been a part of various ensembles as a kanjira player too.
Among the notable achievements of ganesh here are some to look at:
- Accompanied Kalaimamani Shri. Kadri Gopalnath in the year 2000 in New Delhi.
- Played Mridangam in the orchestra conducted by Bharath Rathna Pandit Ravi Shankar in Dec 2000 as a part of the "Swarnothsav" organized by Sangit Natak Academy, New Delhi in the year 2000.
- Conducted a percussion ensemble as a part of "Swarnothsav" organized by Sangeet Natak Academy, New Delhi in Ahmedabad in the year 2000.
- Headed the percussion group in "panchajanya" a production organized by Ministry of Tourism Govt. of India. The concept and idea by noted danseuse Pratiba Prahlad.
- He was also awarded the title "Mridanga Kalamani" by "Venkatadri Veda Vidya Peetham", New Delhi in Dec '03.
- Visited South Korea to take part in the Asian Percussion week in the year 2000.this was collaborated by Sahitya Kala Parishad.
- Conducted workshop in CITE DE LA MYSIQUE Marseille, France Sep '04 and University of Valladolid, Spain '04. He also participated in the Festival of India in Spain.
'DHWANI', A Percussion Ensemble conducted by Lalgudi R.Sriganesh had its maiden performance on 26th July 2003 in Delhi Tamil Sangam, R.K.Puram, New Delhi. It has been recently formed with the objective of combining rhythm and melody together resulting in the confluence of both.
The groups intends to reach the lay audience and make them aware of how both the aspects of melody and rhythm are interconnected. Since then DHWANI has been giving stage shows organized by the Ministry of Tourism and other organizations.
DHWANI has been recently empaneled under the Indian Council for Cultural Relations, New Delhi. The maiden audio CD of "DHWANI" was recently released by the eminent Hindustani musician Shri Madhup Mudgal.
Artistic Director Lalgudi R. Sriganesh
C-63, East End Apartments,
Chilla, Delhi-96, India
Ph: 91 9811383174