S.Ballesh [Kirana Gharana]
Pandit Sri S.Ballesh is a disciple of world renowned Shehnai Maestro Bharat Ratna ustad BIsmillah Khan Saheb, and known as south Indian film music “SHehnai Chakravathy” and called as Dakshin Bismillah Khan by Guru ji Ustad Bismillah Khan Saheb.He born on 1st april 1958 in M.K.Hubli (Belgaum district) in Karnataka ,hails from the illustrious family of renowned “Shehnai players” for past 300years,his father Pandit Sanna Bharamanna ji himself a famous shehnai player of note has been his 1st GURU ji .He continued under his uncle Shehnai Vidwan Sri. Dhodda Bharamanna ji. At the age of 9yrs he started his carrer. He learnt Hindustani vocal in kirana gharana from Dr. DP.Hiremath and started to playing vocal style (Gayaki ang) in his instrument shehnai.
He gave his first public performance at the age of 15yrs in 1973 at Sri Sadguru Balaiyogi Swami ji Thourgad math(Hubli).He learnt Patiala Gharana khayal gayaki from Hyderabad Nizam’s Court Asthan Vidwan Maharasthra Maha Pandit Sri. Kodhanda Salunke Maharaj who trained him very much & bhought all the Gayaki Ang Bhirakas (link touches) into the shehnai.And his 2nd performance in All India Radio in Dharwad.He has a high degree in Radio Kendra.Pandit S.Ballesh set his heart on also being the best and towards this goal, he sought to be shishya (disciple) of “Bharat Ratna Ustad Bismillah Khan Saheb ”,he learnt Banarasi gharana Shehnai Ang style,he had the good fortune of receiving the guidance from maestro & enabled him to refine technique and mastery.
In Gadag, Gana Gandharav Ganayogi Panchakshara Sangeet Ustav,he gave the Shehnai performance played Raag-Yaman kalyan, and brought the listeners mind immediately with the Gayaki Ang and tone & Pandit Puttaraj Gawai ji praised of his Gayaki ang style in mic before audience & received the hearty blessing and he had an apportunity to learn from Pandit ji.After the performance in Gadag Karnataka Rajostav Puraskar awarde Sri.Veereshwar madri ji made him to step in for South Indian Film Industry to Chennai.
Sri S.Ballesh had a long music career,He has given many major performances in several Sangeet Sammellans,Sabha concerts and also Jugalbandhi concerts with various Santoor,Sitar,Veena,Harmonium,Violin artists of Hindustani and Carnatic musicians etc,He has performed for many Culturals Events in India & Abroad. He has given several concerts in All India,in Karnataka (Bangalore,Gadag,Raichur,Kittur,Dharwad,Hubli) in Maharastra (Miraj,Mumbai,Nasik) in U.P (Banaras, Agra, Lucknow, Allahabad) & in other major cities like Delhi,Chennai,Trivandrum, Khozhikode,Kasarkode,Hyderabad,Vijaywada,Bhopal,Calcutta,Ghawhati, Patna,Ahmedabad,Jaipur,Panaji also in Abroad mainly Dubai,Newyork, France,Singapore,Malayasia,Srilanka,Australia,Italy,London in almost U.K…
He is the leading and only Shehnai Artist in South India & has spanned over 29yrs of unbatting popularity such of the appeal of his shehnai,he has worked with almost all the famous Music Directors of india Maestro’slike K.V.Mahadevan, M.S.Viswanath, Illayaraja, A.R.Rahman, G.K.Venkatesh, Sathyam, MM.Keeravani, Jatin-Lalit ji, Anu Malik, S.D.Burman, Laxmikant-Pyarellal, Rajan-Nagendra, Upendra kumar, Hamsalekha, Ravindran, Devraj master, Rajkoti and also playing presently for upcoming music directors of south & north India for films recordings,he has Sang many solo songs in films & for several Reel Recording(Back ground score) devotional songs & albums.He played for various light music live shows all over India and Abroad for almost all music directors.
Pandit Sri S.Ballesh can play on his Shehnai, Aalaapi like khayal singing, Jhala like Sitar and Sarod, Tatkar like kathak-dancers, Harquatts like sarangi and violin, continuity of tone like been and also adds sweetness of bansuri to all this.
About shehnai :-
Shehnai is an old wind instrument associated with the temples of India.Shehnai creates a Mangal Dhwani, an auspious sound.Our great one and only maestro Shehnai Nawaz Bharat Ratna Ustad Bismillah Khan elevated shehnai to the rank of a classical concert instrument,all the important events of an Indian life, a birth, a marriage, a religious festival, a social gathering, etc areiniated with the sound of shehnai.. the tone of a shehnai brings blessing in the atmosphere... .
- Ustad Bismillah Khan Sangeet Ustav,
- Spirit Of Unity Concert Thirupathi (Andhra Pradesh),
- Sringeri Asharam Sangeet Ustav (Karnataka)
- Mudhara Sangeet Ustav Chennai,
- Pandit Sawai Gandharav Sangeet Samellan (Kundagol),
- Pandit Basavaraj Rajguru Sangeet samellan,
- Pt. Kumar Gandharav Sangeet Samellan (Belgaum),
- Pandit Mallikarjun Mansur Sangeet Ustav (Dharwad),
- Sangeet Ustav (youth festival hall) (chennai),
- Ganayogi Panchakshari Sangeet Sammellan (gadag),
- Viswa Kala Sangam Music festival,
- Mewati Gharana Sangeet Sammellan (kerala),
- Swami Haridas Sangeet Sammellan (mumbai),
- Smt. Krishna Hanagal Memorial Festival (hubli),
- Bharat Kalachar Sangeet Ustav (chennai),
- Tansen Sangeet Sammellan (Chennai),
- Ganga Mahostav (varanasi),
- Navarathri Music Festival (chennai),
- Ustad Ahmed Hussain Khan Music circle,
- Ustad Rahamad Khan Sangeet Ustav (chennai),
- Kalarasana music festival,
- Ganayogi Panchakshari Sangeet Ustav (bangalore),
- Pt. Krishna Anand Music Festival,
- Swami Ramana Maharishi Birthday Ustav (thiruvanamalai)
- Raag – Rangi – Raat Sangeet Sammellan (ernakulam),
- Swarana Jayanthi Hindu Dharma Foundation,
He has Received Some Honours Lile
- “Shehnai naad brama “ in chennai sgsgppy foundation,
- “South india shehnai king “ by cine musicians union foundation chennai,
- “Sur ki shehnai “ by adi shankracharaya hindu dharma foundation.
No 37, A.V.M street,
Saligramam, Chennai – 600092,
Tamil nadu, India