Dr. Kamala Shankar [Guitar Player]
The First Woman Exponent in Hindustani Classical Guitar. The only Woman holding "Doctorate" in the subject and Innovator of "SHANKAR GUITAR".
The entry of the Western Guitar into the Hindustani Instrumental Music is proved to be an Interaction between EAST and WEST. Dr. Kamala Shankar alias S. Kamala, the first woman Guitar Artist having World record Incredible Records, has contributed much to the popularity of the instrument and is one of its outstanding masters. For this she has earned a prominent place in the field of Indian classical music. She is known for her sweet and melodious rendition with the superb control of the instrument to present her versatility in the field.
Born in Tanjore district of Tamilnadu, Kamala's musical carrier started with the training in Vocal music, initiated by her mother at the age of six and blossomed to be a true Artist under the valuable guidance from Pt. Channoolal
Mishra, the renowned artist of Varanasi and Sitar Maestro Pt. Bimalendu Mukherjee of Imdadkhani Gharana.
Kamala has developed the Guitar as a singing instrument and used the celebrated 'Gayaki' Ang with 'Imdadkhani' - 'Baj' (the base of Imdadkhani Gharana) to present her repertoire of Hindustani classical music. Besides having the degree of B.sc (hons.) in Zoology and B. Mus in Vocal, Kamala has got her 'Doctorate' (D. Mus) in Guitar from Faculty of Performing Arts, Banaras Hindu University, she has also passed the qualifying examination for "Lectureship" (in music) conducted by U.G.C. She has given many performances all over India and Abroad.
The famous and prestigious amongst them are
- Tansen - Samaroh Gwalior
- The Music Academy, Chennai
- Sawai Gandharva Festival, Pune
- Sangeet Natak Academi Concerts
- Baba Harballabh Sangeet Sammelan - Jalandhar
- Spirit of Unity Concert For Universal Integration
- Vasantrao Deshpandy sangeet-Samaroh (SCZCC), Nagpur
- Taj - Mahotsav, Agra
- I.C.C.R. Programmes, New Delhi
- 'Saptak' Festival, Ahmedabad
- Ustad Allauddin khan Sangeet - Akademi Mahotsav (Govt. - M.P.)
- Raag Sabha - Amritsar
- Sankat Mochan Samaroh Varanasi
- Ganga Mahotsav,Varanasi
- SPIC-MACAY (All over India)
- India International Center - New Delhi
- Kala mandir - Kolkata
- Jawahar kala Kendra - Jaipur
- Music Tribute to M.S. Subbalakshmi - Chennai
- Soorya Festival - Trivendrum, UAE, Switzerland and London Chapters
- Hungary Festival'05 - Budapest, Austria, Vienna and surroundings
- Received Surmani award from Sur-Singer Samsad, Mumbai
- Awarded Fellowship in the field of music by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India.
- Group Study Exchange tour to : New York, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, Fredricksberg and London (Sponsored by Rotary International)
- CD-Album released by H.M.V.(Hamara CD) "Music Melody on the Guitar" - by Dr. Kamala Shankar
- Innovated "SHANKAR GUITAR" - a Modified form of Hawaiian Guitar.
- Innovated by : DR. Kamala Shankar and Designed by : "M/S Rikhiram and Sons" - New Delhi
- Felicitated by "Bharatratna" (late) M.S. Subbalakshmi
13, Munirka Enclave,
New Delhi - 110067 (India)