Debasis Chakraborty - Senia-Maihar Gharana
Debasis Chakraborty , a senior slide guitar Player belonging to the “Senia-Maihar Gharana” , was groomed in the atmosphere of music from his childhood . He began learning guitar from his father Sh. Madhusudan Chakroborty at a tender age. Then he came under the tutelage of Pt. Barun Kumar Pal(Guitarist) and Pt. Jotin Bhattacharya, a senior disciple of Ustad Baba Allauddin Khan Sahib of Maihar Gharana. Later on, Debasis became a disciple of the guitar maestro Pundit Brij Bhushan Kabra in the tradional “Guru – Sishya Parampara” of the “Senia – Maihar Gharana”. It is due to the ingenuity of Pundit B.L.Kabra, who suitably modified Hawaiian guitar to make it adaptable to the demands of the ragas in the early sixties.
Debasis's style of playing combines both Gayaki and Tantrakari Angs. He is still following the oldest tradition of playing Sarode, Sitar and Veena with his modified Hawaiian guitar, which has its own beautiful technical virtuosity and three octave advantages. His purity of style, uniqueness of imagination and total absorption with melody coupled with his brilliant technique in which “Tantrakari” and and “Layakari” are prominent and make his recital enchanting.
While Debasis's Vilamvit (slow) compositions are contemplative, serene and heart rendering, his Drut (fast) compositions are lilting and endowed with rhythmic patterns. He is equally adept at light classical compositions and folk styles of rendering.
He is an “A” grade artiste of Broadcasting Corporation of India (AIR & Doordarshan) in both Hindustani Classical and light music. He has performed in the “Ravibasariya Sangeet Sabha’ National programme of All India Radio and Doordarshan(Television). Also, he is an I.C.C.R. Empanelled artiste under Ministry of external affairs, Govt. of India. He visited several Universities and institutions around the world as visiting faculty/ Artist in Residence and performed in many prestigious concerts and conferences which were widely appreciated.
Achievements / Honours & Major Performances
- Receipient of “Kala-Bhushan” award from Dr. B.R.Ambedkar University, Agra.
- Receipient of “Swar-Mani” award from Braj Lalit Kala Manch and Bharat Sevashram Sangh, Vrindavan.
- “National Programme” – Doordarshan (TV) and Akashwani (All India Radio)
- HCL Concert Series at Indian Habitat Centre – New Delhi
- Classical Music Conference – West Bengal State Music Academy.
- “Varanasi Music Festival” – Varanasi
- “Gangotsav”- A prestigious music festival organized by the Ministry of Tourism& Youth Cultural Department, Govt. of West Bengal.
- “Ustad Allauddin Kahn Music Conference” – Jointly organized by Eastern Zonal Cultural Centre , Indian Museum & Baba Allauddin Memorial Committee.
- “Vishva Bharati”, Santiniketan
- “Ustad Bhadur Khan music conference”
- “Rama Krishna Misson” – New Delhi & Belur Math.
- Rajasthan Sangeet Natak Academy.
- Chakradhar Music Festival, Raigarh
- Annual Classical Conference Org. by Uttarpara Sangeet Chakra.
- Taj Mahotsava – 2006, Agra
- Performed in the 27th International Congress on Music Education at Kualalampur, Malaysia and Singapore, 2006.
- Radhika Mohan Maitra Music Conference, 2008,Kolkata
- Performed in the 28th International Congress on Music Education at Bologna, Italy, 2008.
- Invited by Monash University,Melbourne, Australia as visiting academic faculty.
- Many other prestigious music conferences throughout the country and enthralling the audiences by his brilliant performances
“Surajkund Festival” organized by Haryana Tourism
81, Adan Bagh, Dayalbagh,