Chirag Katti [Imdadkhani Gharana]
Chirag Katti, fondly called as 'Sitar Vaadan ka Naya Chirag'(a new star in the field of sitar), or 'The Torch-bearer of musicians family' is one of the most gifted and talented musician whose youthful exuberance and persona is well expressed through his music. This promising young lad is an upcoming Sitarist in the field of Indian classical music hailing from a musician's family down the generation line. Chirag, born in a family of musicians, has been learning sitar from his father Pt.Shashank Katti (a national A Grade artist) for last 15 years. Pt. Shashank Katti, being the senior most disciple of Late Pt.K.T Bhatavdekar (one of the senior disciples of Ustad Vilayat Khan), has played a major role in moulding young Chirag. At the young age of 22, Chirag has not only won many prizes but has also performed on many television channels, radio and concerts in India and abroad. The maturity that one finds in his performance at this young age is quite appreciable.
- Chirag Katti Raag Bageshri- Performed for DD metro and Sahyadri channel at the age of 18 with Aditya Kalyanpur on tabla
- Chirag Raag Puriya Dhanashree- Performed at Dr.Prabha Atre's Gurukul-Pune!!
- Pandit Shashank Katti and Chirag Katti Raag Shuddha Sarang
- Fusion Performed at Launching of Chirag's debut album 'Silver Lining'
As stated by Rave (International Magazine)-
'There is little doubt that Katti has enormous talent-his playing is both studied and expansive, and he tackles difficult raags with panache. Also, his sitar skills bear the mark of years of practice'.
He follows the 'Imdadkhani Gharana' but that does not stop him from being creative with his skills. He plays with the Gayaki Ang ( the way a vocalist sings) .
As stated by various news reports-'Chirag Katti's performance on the Sitar surely does mesmerize the audience. His hand speed (tayari) and sense of taal (rhythm) is magical while his alaaps are simply sensational. As a professional musician, Chirag has the knack of reading the minds of his audience, which he uses as his trump card'.
Chirag is one of the youngest musicians recorded by Saregama H.M.V, the oldest and biggest record label company existing in India and has been billed as the youngest sitar maestro of India by Saregama H.M.V
At this young age Chirag already has two albums to his credit:
Silver lining, Strings Magic
Awards & Performances
- Chirag is a diploma holder in music from Mumbai University
- Awarded the 'SURMANI' by Sur-Singar Samsad Mumbai
- Awarded the scholarship for Sitar by the Ministry of Culture New Delhi. (Government of India).
- Represented Mumbai University and won the first prize at State, Zonal and National level Youth Festival competitions 2005-06 where more than 60 universities participated all over India.
- Shared the top prize at Pt. Omkarnath Thakur Foundation Academy organized by Smt.N Rajam on 22nd Feb. 2004. (National Level).
- Won the 1st prize at many inter-collegiate festivals including,
'Mood-Indigo'- I.I.T. Powai College of Engineering (National Level).
'Malhar' - St.Xaviers College.
'Umang' - Narsee Monjee College.
'Brouha' - Sydenham College.
- Won the 1st prize in 'Swar Sadhana Samiti (All over India music and dance Competition, National level) 1999-2000.
- Won All over Mumbai school competition trophy 1997-98 Chhatranand Sangeet Shreshtha.
- Performed at Tokyo Radio Japan when he was only 16 years old.
- Chirag has also composed a song as a Music Director for Doordarshan at the age of 15 years.