Anjan Chattopadhyay [Sitar Maestro]
Anjan was born in Calcutta, India. He was brought up in an environment of soft, serene mood of Indian Classical Music.
His elder brother Pandit Gourishankar Chattopadhyay is an eminent Surbahar and sitar player belongs to Senia Gharana. His initial training in sitar could make an indelible impression on Anjan's mind about the depth of instrument in sound and melody. Simultaneously, he was having initial vocal training from his elder sister. Anjan started to feel the fragrance and the pulsation of life in music. He became more committed to his music and the advancement in sitar playing started rigorously under the tough guidance of his brother. At the age of nine, Anjan did his debut performance at a conference in Calcutta in 1969 with the sensitive appraisal of the critics.
Sishya of Great Masters
To learn music, he became disciple of the tabla wizard Ustad Shaukat Ali Khan. Slowly, Anjan began to acquire knowledge of Indian Tala system, which opened another world before him. For advancement in the stream of Sitar Instrument he became a student of world famous Sitarist Surasree Kalyani Roy, one of the senior most students of Aftaab-e-sitar Ustad Vilayat Khan, the trendsetter of modern days' sitar playing.
To grasp the serene and sublime mood of music, Anjan felt his sitar must sing like a vocalist. Therefore he started taking lessons in vocal music under the tutelage of Shree Muktipada Dutta, a representative of Agra Gharana. That is the way Anjan reached the root of music for picking up the precious gems.
Enormous and erudite Talim made Anjan to set forth for becoming an artist who's each bold stroke in hard strings could express excellence in each and every repertoire. Connoisseurs have been wonderstruck by his ability to balancing between technical verbosity and aesthetic gentility finely on the one hand and by his sense of symmetry and logic in musical efforts on the other.
Anjan is an arts graduate from the Calcutta University.
- The Dover Lane Music Conference
- India International Center
- All India Music Festival
- Salt Lake Music Conference
- National Council of Performing Arts
- West Bangal Government State Music Academy
- Tansen Music Conference
- Alliance Francaise
- Ustad Bahadur Khan Music Conference
- Swami Haridas Music Conference
- Guru purnima Festival, Kalabharati
- Ustad Amir Khan Music Conference
- Jhankar Music Circle,
- Shree Aurobindo Ashram,
- Sankalp Music Festival,
- Swar Sadhna Music Evening,
- Kaal Ke Kalakar Sangeet Utsav,
- Rotary Club Lake Green Calcutta,
- Blind Persons Association Charity Concert
- Probasi Bengalee Christian Association.
- Camp Vatsayan Benaras
Awards & Honours
- In 1986, he was awarded the prestigious first prize in All India Music Competition organized by the State Music Academy of West Bengal Government.
- In 1987, he was felicitated with the prestigious title 'SURMANI' after performing at Kal-Ke-Kalakar music festival in Mumbai.
- In 1988, he was awarded with the title 'Sangeet Visharad' by Pracheen Kalakendra, Chandigarh. In the same year he got 'Sangeet Kriya Visharad' title from Sourav Academy Board. On this occasion, the renowned violinist Pandit V.G.Jog felicitated him.
- In 1990, during his tour to U.S.A, the Academy of Indian Music and Fine Arts and UMBC felicitated him with the certificate of Achievement.
- In that year he got the rare opportunity to be honored with the GOVERNOR'S CITATION from the Honorable Governor of New Jersey – Mr Jim Florio.
- In 1994, Pandit Padmabhushan Jnan Prakash Ghosh, one of the music legends of India, proclaimed Anjan as 'one of the most talented young sitar players of India".
- Swar-Sadhna Samity of Mumbai and Rotary Club of Lake Green Kolkata, honored him after, an enthralling performance, of his.
- In 2004, Anjan has got the prestigious 'GOVERNOR'S CITATION' from the honourable Governor of the State of Maryland for his contribution to Indian Classical Music. after performing his music he was acclaimed by the honorable Senator Mr. Paul Sarbane.
- In 2005, Surabithi College Of Music honoured him with the title 'SANGEET ADITYA' and awarded him with the prestigious 'SWAMI HARIDAS SAMMAN.
- In 2006 Geetichakra College of Music honored him with the award 'Ustad Enayat Khan Memorial Award 2006".
- In 2007 Anjan has been awarded with 'Michael Madhusudan Dutta Award' for his contribution to Indian Classical Music.
Asish Chattopadhyay, the renowned and one of the senior most eminent music critics says that "Anjan's sitar recital is the music of cosmic emotion. It brings to the heart a feeling of solitude and vastness that surrounds us on all sides. His music adds a quality of depth and bliss to the human mind."Mr Sankarlal Bhattacharjee, the biographer of Pandit Ravi Shankar and Ustad Vilayat Khan, the noted writer and journalist of India, describes Anjan's sitar as "poetic. Every piece he performs eventually takes on the image of a poem". Mr Prakash Wadhera, a noted musician and the eminent music critic of the newspaper 'The Hindu' writes about Anjan's Sitar as a rich and uninterrupted tradition.
Apart from these he has his credit of having a lot of different newspapers reviews, articles on his music.Anjan not only enthrall his audience as a potential performer but he is a very good and popular teacher of Indian Music. He has numerous students in India & abroad. Recently he executed a very successful training lesson workshop in U.S.A, which was organized by the Academy of Indian Music and Fine Arts.
Wherever Anjan played he got huge acclamation and appraisal from his audience as well as from the music critics. For the last few years [from 2003] he has been regarded as one of the foremost sitar exponents of the country.
Not only the solo concerts, Anjan has successfully performed in many duet and trio concerts with the eminent musicians. He played sitar in films as well and earned fame as a creative music arranger.
Anjan is doing the unique project of creating and developing ''SANGEETPEDIA' ,The Encyclopedia of North Indian Music' in interactive Multimedia format in association with Enayet Hossain, the Academy of Indian Music and Fine Arts and Aim Records Inc. USA. This has been launched globally in Kolkata on 4 th January 2007. http://www.telegraphindia.com/1070106/asp/calcutta/story_7224768.asp
As a Mentor
Anjan has a long experience of teaching the music. In India he is regarded as a boleved and respected teacher of music.As well as in USA he taught many students in association with Academy Of Indian Music And Fine Arts.
- Bageshree and Bhairav Bahar -- EBI India
- Yaman -- Aim Records
- Bihag --- Octave Music
- Desh ---Aim Records
- Razz --- Raga-jazz music
Anjan's music today, is an embodiment of fineries and dedication. The crystal clear notes, the immaculate musicality and the sheer beauty of tones have earned him an ample reputation in today's music world. Anjan's music adds a quality of depth and bliss to the human mind.