Anand Ramanujam, a Tabla artist from Nagpur was born in Kumbakonam (Dist.Tanjore) in 1971. Being bought up in Nagpur he climbed on to become one of the most sought after artist from Central India. He received extensive advance training from late. Ustad AllaRakha in Mumbai. Anand has been greatly acclaimed for performing Tabla solo all over the country and is considered to be specialised especially in accompanying any Dance forms including Khatak and even Bharatnatyam.
AS A STUDENT : As a Student Anand started learning Tabla at the tender age of 7. After learning basics lessons in Nagpur, and getting a Bachelors degree in Tabla (Sangeet Visharad), the thirst for knowledge took him to Mumbai where he received extensive training from the doyen of Punjab Gharana late.Ustad AllaRakha, for some years.
Academically Anand holds a Masters degree in Commerce (M.COM) from Nagpur university.
As a student he has won many accolades since his school days and notable among those was the the first prize in the National level youth festival 'Mood Indigo' hosted by IIT, Mumbai in 1989.
AS A TEACHER : As a Teacher Anand has a rich experience of Teaching Instrumental Music for a period of around 18 years in which a period of around 12 years in one of a leading Public Schools of Central India (CBSE) where he had trained hundreds of students in the art of playing Tabla and other percussions. Many of them are participating in various events and concerts all over the country. Also Anand had formed a School Band consisting of 51 students playing various Instruments which was well received in the CBSE schools all over India.
Anand has developed a novel technique of teaching, whether it is Music or any other subject in the simplest possible way wherein even a layman can follow the same with ease. Even at times Anand gives lecture/dem in the Corporate world for the Marketing Executives and personals to make their products understandable to the common man.
anand has many firsts to his credit as a Teacher, notable among those are his students from the School appearing for various levels of Govt. recognized Examinations conducted by "Gandharva Mahavidyalaya" Mumbai. Many of them have passed the intermediate level learning only in the weekly Music period in the School and are awaiting to become a graduate in Music.
Apart from Tabla, Anand also taught various other Percussion Instruments to the students and still continues teaching when ever he gets time from his concert schedule.
As an Artist : Anand started performing concerts at the age of 13, the first performance being his Tabla solo in Nagpur Doordarshan. As an artist Anand has carved a niche for himself performing with ease for what ever form of Music he his performing, like accompanying an Instrumentalist or Vocalist to performing with Khatak dancers or Carnatic musicians and Baratnatyam dancers, and even the Fusion concerts or Taal Vadya Kutcheris performed by him are well received, which made him the most sought after artist by the fellow musicians and even many of the leading Music Institutions. Due to the full time job assignment as a Teacher (1995 - 2006), for quite a few years Anand had to quit the concert tours, which made him bid adieu to the Full time job as a Teacher in the Public School in Sept.2006. And now as a freelance performer in the world of Music, he is devoting his full time for the sacred service.
Some of his notable Concerts are :
- 1994 - Performance with Bharatnatyam in Shimla, Himachal Pradesh.
- 1995 -Tabla solo at South Central Zone Cultural Centre in Rajnandgaon (Chattisgarh).
- 1997 - Performed for the Maharashtra Govt. Ministry of Cultural resources which was adjudged the best concert by the audience.
- 1999- Performed with Bharatnatyam in Raigarh, in Haridas1 Sangeet Sammelan hosted by State.Govt, Chattisgarh.
- 2000- Performance at Gwalior University, Gwalior as a special invitee.
- 2000- Performance at South India Bhajana Mandali, Jabalpur.
- 2002- As a guest artist at National Convention of Scientists at National Bureau of Soil Survey and Land use planning, Nagpur.
- 2003- Accompanyment with Sitar at the 'Dwayi Vishnu' whole night Sangeet Samaroh at Nagpur.
- 2004- Performed for Nagpur university Inter University Seminar on Drugs-a fatal disaster".
- 2005- As a Special Artist performed in the 2nd State level Maharashtra Inter University youth Festival "Indradushya 2005".
- 2005- At the "international Conference", Dept. of Fine Arts, Nagpur University.
- 2005- Performed for Jugalbandi for "Peter England" Garments anniversary programme in Amravati(Maharashtra).
- 2005- Performed Tabla solo in "Swarnaad" at Saoner (Maharashtra), December.
- 2005- Jugalbandi of Mridangam and Tabla in Nagpur Doordarshan in December 2005.
- 2006- Performed with Bharatnatyam at Tikamgarh (M.P).
- 2006- Performed for Dance Drama at "Career College" as part of the UGC grant ceremony in Bhopal, in December'06.
- 2007- Performed as the lead Percussionist in the Fusion Concert in All India Radio, Nagpur as part of the Western Region Conference of Station Directors and Prog.exec. in February 2007.
- 2007- A DVD "Learn to Play Tabla" was released by "Geethanjali" cassettes, a pioneer in the field of Indian Classical Music which is getting tremendous response from all over the Globe, being a very effective tool for those who want to learn Tabla but are devoid of a guru for some reasons.