Sweekruth is an accomplished Kathak Dancer, Teacher & Choreographer from Bengaluru, India. Fascinated by Kathak – the North Indian Classical Dance Style, Sweekruth began his initial training under renowned dancer couple of Bengaluru,
Shri T.D Rajendra & Smt Nirupama Rajendra. He undertook residential training under internationally renowned dancer couple Guru Maulik Shah & Ishira Parikh at Ahmadabad, and learnt specific dance pieces from Guru K.Murali Mohan at Bengaluru. He has also had the privilege of attending Kathak Workshops under Smt. Geetanajali Lal & PT. Birju Maharaj
Sweekruth is recognized as a solo and group performer and has received accolades from both the dance fraternity and critics. He is a recipient of the dance scholarship in the field of Kathak from the Ministry of Tourism and Culture – Government of India and is a graded artist of Bengaluru Doordashan. “Abhinaya Nrutya Bharathi” – Eluru (A.P) felicitated him with “Nrutya Kowmudhi” award for the year 2008
Sweekruth essays the role of an Artistic Director of “Sathkrutha Academy of Movement & Expression (S.A.M.E)” which is an effort to promote Kathak, and also aims at using body movement and facial expression as a medium to share one’s idea.
Performances in India
Sweekruth has performed at National and International events and has more than 200 performances to his credit. His group and solo performances include…
- Uday Shankar Dance Festival – Calcutta 2000.
- Hoysala mahotsav – Belur and Halebid.
- Tunga Mahotsav – Shimoga.
- Karavalli Utsav – Karwar.
- ‘Evening of Kathak and Choreography’- Coimbatore.
- ‘Kala Nadam’04 – Annual Dance Festival of Nadam.
- The Other Festival 2004– Chennai.
- Bengaluru Habba -2004
- “Yuva Saangeethyotsava’ - youth dance and music festival organized by Shyamala G. Bhave at Yavanika on 9th Jan 05.
- “Sankramana’- dance and music festival organized by Manjula Paramesh at Ravindra Kalakshetra on 15th Jan 05.
- Gujarat Festival held in Calcutta.2006.
- Dance and Music festival held at Baroda- Gujarat.
- ‘Bengaluru Habba” 6th Dec-05.
- Performed for Doordarshan (Bengaluru) 2006.
- CONNECT’s Dance festival - Ahmedabad 2006.
- Delegates meet at National Institute of Advanced Studies – Bengaluru.
- NCPA -Mumbai 2007
- Samanvay Art Festival – Bengaluru 2007. (dance festival organized by Kuchipudi dancer Smt. Veena Murthy Vijay)
- Accenture Delegates meet – Bengaluru 2006, 2007, 2008
- Shiva –Dance Festival – Mangalore 2008.
- Alwars Dance Festival – Mangalore 2008.
- Bangalore School of Music – Bengaluru 2008.
- Dussera Festival at Kalyana Mahaganapati Temple Bengaluru 2008
- “Nritya Dhaare -4” Bengaluru 2009
- Every Friday Cultural Programme sponsored by ICCR Bengaluru 2009
As a Solo artist Sweekruth has also performed for US and THAI delegation visiting India for an exchange programme at Christ College - Bengaluru.
Sweekruth has also performed in a Dance Ballet directed by National Award Winning Director Shri Prakash Belwadi and choreographed by internationally acclaimed Dancer-Guru Smt. Padmini Ravi.
Sweekruth was invited by Chitraleka Dance Company based in Birmingham – England to work in their production ‘The Story Of C’. He worked as a Key member of the Dance Company, performing at several prestigious centres and conducting educational workshops for schools and universities including children with special needs. His performance in the company’s project ‘The Storyof Carbon’ was very much appreciated all over England and India.
Sweekruth along with Nadam Dance Ensemble extensively toured USA in the year 2006 and performed in major cities including, Los Angeles, San Fransisco, Phoenox, Soutn Carolina, Houston, Pprtland and Pittsburgh. He also conducted workshops for aspiring dance students of various dance institutions in USA. His choreographic works received rare reviews from the dance fraternity and art lovers.
Performances in USA
- Rangoli Dance School – Los Angeles (Director Smt Malathi Iyengar)
- Aarti School of India Dances – Phoenix (Director Smt. Asha Gopal)
- Lord Venkateshwara Temple – Pittsburgh
- Mrudani School of Performing Arts – South Carolina (Smt Anuradha Murali)
- Natya Dance Academy – Portland
- Anjali School of Indian Dance – Houston ( Smt. Ratnakumar Papa)
Sweekruth traveled to SWITZERLAND in April 2008, where he performed for the Indian Association-Geneva & conducted a month long workshop for dance students of OMKARA, The dance institution established by danseuse Mrs. Sujatha Vekatesh).
- Indian Association – Geneva
- Omkara School of Indian Dance – Geneva
- Planete Enfants - Sion
Sweekruth has choreographed solo and group dances for various educational institutions and corporate establishments in Bengaluru. He has been working on Thematic Choreographies using Classical and Creative dance forms and Indian folklore, giving each style a different feel, yet retaining their content and keeping pace with the changing trends.
Sweekruth has also choreographed dance sequences for a documentary film on educating rural children directed by Prakash Belwadi and produced by Government of India.
Sweekruth holds Masters Degree in Tourism Administration securing 2nd rank in the same. He has successfully completed his dissertation project on the topic “Cultural Traditions of Karnataka -Performing Arts and their tourist potential”
214, 5th ‘D’ main,
Bengaluru – 560043
Karnataka – India.