Sharad Pandya [Bharatnatyam Exponent]
Born on February 21st 1959, in Baroda, The Cultural Capital of Gujarat, Sharad Pandya had a deep love for the Indian performing arts since his childhood. A performer of high caliber, a celebrated choreographer and a devoted guru of today, he, began his long journey very early.
He holds a Diploma & Bachelor of Performing Arts in Bharatanatyam from the Faculty of Performing Arts, M.S. University of Baroda, Gujarat. Later he took up an intensive training in Bharatanatyam from renowned dance teachers like Guru Shri C.V. Chandrashekhar, Smt. Nargis Katpitia & Late Shri Pradeep Baruah.
A performer of high caliber, Sharad Pandya has performed & represented India in many festivals of National as well as International repute.
Performances in India
- ICCR Sangeet Nritya Mahotsav, New Delhi and International Classical Dance Festival, New Delhi
- December Dance Festival, Chennai
- Nitya Nritya Festival, Bangalore
- Kalidas Samaroh, Ujjain
- Swarna Sankhya Dance Festival, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Mysore
- Uttarardh Utsav of Classical Dance Festival, Modhera
- Choreography Festival, Calcutta
- The Oriental conference, Jaipur
- The Andhra Maha Sabha, Mumbai
- Krishna Ghan Sabha, Chennai
- Gujarat Sangeet Natak Academy Festival Bhavnagar
- Centanary celebration of GRG foundation, Coimbatore
- Chinmaya Mission, New Delhi
He has also performed in various other Indian cities such as; Banaras, Vrindavan, Kanpur, Surat, Ahmedabad, Vadodara, Bidar, Sangaredy etc.
Major performances abroad
- Festival of India in USSR
- International dance festival, Bangkok
- South Sea port festival, NEW YORK , U.S.A.
- Performances at Bali, Java, Sumatra & Denpessar, Indonesia
- Performances at Laos, Kampuchia, Vietnam, Phillipines & Malaysia
- Other performances at University of Boston, University of Amherst, Triton College, Chicago, University of Philadelphia, New York, Washington DC, Maryland, Ohio, Dayton, & Los Angelis.
- Presentations in Mauritius
- Recent presentations at an International arts festival, Pakistan.
- He is the writer of the book NRITYA SHASTRA which states the theory and history of Indian Classical Dances.
- He is the paneled artist of Doordarshan
Honours & Awards
- He has been felicitated by the Chief Minister of Gujarat Shri Narendra Modi.
- He has been conferred with the Out Standing Young Person award by the Banyan city junior chambers.
- Sanskar award, Sanskar Pariwar.
- O.Y.P. National award.
- Felicitated by the Baroda Municipal corporation for his out standing contribution in the field of classical dance.
- Felicitated by the Konark dance festival committee.
- He has also been invited by many institutes to give lecture-demonstrations and conduct workshops. He choreographed several dances & dance dramas such as Prakruti Varnan, Nal Damyanti, Krishna Leela and many more. He was also the event choreographer of a dance composition in Sanskrit Mahishasura Mardini Stotram, which was staged at the International Garba Festival, hosted by the Govt. Of Gujarat, in Oct. 2004.
- He is the Founder and Director of 'Purva School of Bharatanatyam Baroda', Gujarat, established in 1983.
- It is affiliated with Nalanda Dance Research Centre, a college recognized by Bombay University & is also a member of International dance council, UNESCO France & World MIFA- Italy.
Guru Sharad Pandya,
Purva School of Bharatanatyam,
62/ C Satyen Society,
2, VIP road, Karelibaug,
Baroda 390 018, Gujrat
Ph: 91 265 2486759 / 2321179