Shambhavi Vaze [Kathak Exponent]
Training in Kathak
With Mother and Guru Mrs. Maneesha Sathe for more than twenty years.
Training in Laya Taal and its aesthetics
With Tabla maestro Taalyogi Pandit Suresh Talwalkar for more than ten years (intricacies and aesthetics of rhythm)
Training in Hindustani Classical Vocal Music
With Guru Mrs. Mangala Vaidya for seven years.
Bachelor of Commerce - University of Pune
Masters in Performing Arts - University of Pune
Nritya Alankar (M.A.) Gandharva Mahavidyalaya
Diploma in French - Alliance Francaise de Poona
Diploma in Sanskrit - Tilak Maharashtra Vidyapeeth
- Stood first in Nritya Alankar Examination. Gandharva Mahavidyalaya honored her with 3 awards for securing highest grades in all India
- At the age of 17, won a Bronze Medal in solo dance competitions as a part of the Republic Day Camp of NCC on all India level
- Honored with Singaar Mani title in Kal Ke Kalakar Festival organized by Sur Singaar Samsad, Mumbai
- Felicitated for excellence in Kathak dance at the hands of Hon. Mr. Sharad Pawar, on the occasion of Platinum Jubilee of All India Women's Conference
- Felicited for high achievements in the field of Kathak at the hands of Pandit Birju Maharaj, on International Women's Day celebrations by Samvaad, Pune
- A Mumbai Doordarshan graded Kathak dancer
- Empanelled with Indian Council for Cultural Relations
- Member of The International Dance Council of UNESCO
- Recipient of National Scholarship for dance by the Govt. of India
- All India Youth Festivals at Raichur and Mysore, organized by South Central Zone Cultural Center.
- Yuva Kathak Mahotsava at Pune, organized by University of Pune.
- Thrice in Swami Haridaas Sangeet Sammelan at Mumbai, organized by Sur Singaar Samsad.
- Shivanand Sangeet Mahotsava at Aundh, Maharashtra
- Twice in All India Classical Dance Festival organized By Nehru Centre, Mumbai.
- Sharad Chandrika Festival at New Delhi, organized by Kathak Kendra
- Raindrops Festival at Mumbai, organized by Samved
- Shaniwar Wada Mahotsava at Pune
- Parampara Festival at Pune
- Vasantotsava at New Delhi, organized by Kalashram.
- Pune Festival at Pune, organized by Pune Municipal Corporation.
- Dr. Vasant Rao Deshpande Music Festival at Nagpur, organized by South Central Zone Cultural Center.
- Numerous performances in cities like Latur, Satara, Ahmednagar, Diveagar, Parner, Kolhapur, Yawatmal, Sawda, Talegaon, Karad, Goa, Itarsi, etc.
Solo Performances in Corporate Seminars and other institutions
- R & D Engineers, Pune
- Army Intelligence School, Pune
- Indian Institute of Tropical Metrology, Pune
- National Insurance Academy, Pune
- Zensar Technologies, Pune
- Grasim India Limited
- Nicrome India Limited
- Cipla Paliative Care and Research Institute, Pune
- Baalagram, Pune
- International Seminar on Astronomy at IUCAA, Pune
- Abhigyan Mandal, Pune
- Sahyadri Swaramanch, Pune
- Kirti Kala Mandir, Nasik
- World Peace Foundation, MIT, Pune
- Rotary International Conference, Pune
- Inauguration of spiritual jewellary line by Aura named Padma Sutra
Noteworthy Duet Performances with Guru Mrs. Maneesha Sathe
- Series of Performances and Workshops in USA, Japan and Bahrain
- Duets at Pune, Mumbai, Aurangabad, Solapur, Bijapur, Patna, Banglore, etc.
- Given performances of Kathak set to Oriental music and Taiko Drums in India and Japan
She has been fortunate to receive accolades from great artists like Nritya Samrat Pt. Gopi Krishna ji, Pt. Birju Maharaj ji, Smt. Rohini Bhate, Padmashree Sitara Devi, Shri Sunil Kothari, Smt. Saswati Sen, Pt. Samta Prasad ji, Pt. Kishan Maharaj ji, Pt. Hariprasad Chaurasia, Smt. Anuradha Paudwal, etc
- Members of Students Exchange Program under Penn in India project between India and America
- Personality development workshops in Pune
- Theatre workshops by Progressive Dramatic Association, Pune
- University Women's Association, Pune Chapter
- Akanksha, working for children from slum areas
- Delegation of Maori Dancers of New Zealand, hosted by University of Pune
- Arts Teachers Association of Maharashtra
- Rotary Club of Sinhagad Road in their health awareness program
- Sessions on Choreography in a workshop by 'Splendor', Pune
- On Mumbai Doordarshan in the program Yuva Darshan
- Choreography Rutuchakra was telecast on Gyan Darshan channel of Delhi Doordarshan.
- Interview in program Manasi on Alfa TV.
- Choreographed and performed in two episodes of a poetic program Nakshatranche Dene, telecast on Alfa TV.
- Appeared as a judge in Dum Dama Dum on DD Sahyadri.
- Samvaad: Ensemble of various geometric patterns in dance
- Mugdha Chi Goshta: Dance ballet on a girl's fantasy about her visit to the moon
- Wheels: Various forms of wheels, controlling a man's life
- Vyaadh: A hunter's journey to the Moksha
- Poems of Kusumagraj, legendary Marathi poet
- Antariksha: A Dance ballet on Astronomy
- Chalo Manaye Tyohaar: A showcase of 6 Indian seasons and various Marathi festivals celebrated in them
- He Gaja Vadana: An invocation of Lord Ganesh set in old musical form named Naandi.
- Tarunaai: Marathi Pop Songs choreographed in various dance styles like western dance, modern dance, Indian folk dance and classical dance.
- Rhy-Dhun: choreography on Taufiq Qureshi's sound tracks.
- Ata Khela Naacha: Choreography on famous children's songs in Marathi.
About latest dance production: Nritya Sangam
Nritya Sangam is a confluence of two richest Indian Classical Dance Styles, Kathak and Bharatanatyam. She presents NS with her dance partner Parimal Phadke, a noted Bharatanatyam exponent. Most recently, from April to June 2005, they toured USA and gave 18 spellbinding performances in various cities, including performances for various Hindu Temples, India Associations and Maharashtra Mandals. They also performed in Houston International Festival and Asian Festival in Columbus. They also gave a lecture demonstration at the Ohio State University and conducted dance workshops in various cities. They will be performaning the New Avatar of NS in USA and Canada during April and July 2007.
Commercial DVD of Kathak
She is one of the very few Kathak dancers to have launched a commercial DVD of her Kathak repertoire with solo as well as group choreographies. This DVD has been produced and marketed by Neelam AV, Philadelphia, USA and is available worldwide on www.neelam.com
- Director of Maneesha Nrityalaya's Ganesh Nagar Branch since 1990. Maneesha Nrityalaya is a Kathak dance Institute founded by Guru Mrs. Maneesha Sathe.
- As a principal teacher of Maneesha Nrityalaya, she is training the students in Kathak dance. Presently, more than 200 students are learning at her center.
- Since 1994, she presents each of her students in an Annual Gurupournima Festival named 'Kathakotsava' in new and fresh choreographies ranging from traditional to contemporary. She also invites a guest artist every year to perform in Kathakotsava. So far, artists like Bageshree Vaze (USA), Parwati Dutta (Aurangabad) and Pt. Rajendra Gangani (Delhi) have performed in her festival.
- Works as an examiner for Gandharva Mahavidyalaya for post graduate examinations in Kathak.
- Her students have bagged prizes in several classical dance competitions.
- Known to be a vivacious, friendly yet disciplinarian teacher. Has been successfully motivating her able students in pursuing Kathak as a career.
- Also working as: Trustee and Branch Director of Maneesha Nrityalaya Charitable Trust.
- Faculty and Guru in the Center for Performing Arts, University of Pune. She is the youngest Guru in the dance faculty of CPA.
Most recently, on 29th Jan. 2006, she presented a one of its kind program on the life sketch of Kathak doyen Pt. Birju Maharaj ji titled as 'Jeevan Ke Har Mod Pe...' which featured Maharaj ji's various artistic facets as a dancer, choreographer, percussionist, singer, poet, painter and a Guru. In front of 2000 Rasikas from Pune, Maharaj ji himself revealed the most interesting chapters of his life in the presence of his sons, daughter, Gandabandh Shishyas, well wishers and contemporary artists.
870/2A, Rasik, Bhandarkar Road,
Pune 411004. Maharashtra,
Tel.: +91-20-2565 6838
+91 98231 16903