Savita Godbole [Kathak Dancer]
A Lucknow-Born Kathak Performer, Mrs. Savita Godbole is a disciple of the Legandry Kathak Maestro - Acharya Lachhu Mararaj of Lucknow Gharana. Mrs. Savita possesses all the qualities to prove the specialities of Adakari, for which, her Guru was famous.
At her very small age of five years, Mrs. Savita was inspired to develop her interest in her genuine field of liking, the Kathak Dance; by the Veterans - Vocalists Pt. Shankar Rao Bodas and Pt. Gangadhar Rao Telang; and Musicologist and Instrumentalist Pt. Lal Mani Mishra. Savita took her primary lessons in Khathak Dance from Shri K.D.Shrivastav at Kanpur.
Mrs. Savita Godbole, after Graduation in Biology from Lucknow, concentrated totally on her natural like, Kathak Dance and then, took to Ceremonial Style Of kathak under the guidance and directions of Acharya Lachhu Maharaj, or a long span of period. By her rigorous efforts and devotion to Art, she became the one of the rare Blessed Deciples of Guruji. With the grace of Guru. She excelled in both the styles of Kathak - Lasya and Tandava; which were the specialities of Acharya Lachhu Maharaj. To add the professional specialization to her stage performance, Mrs.Savita underwent an impulsive and hard training under the Guidence of the Great Maestros of Tabla of Lucknow Gharana Khalifa Wajid Hussain Khan and his son Ustad Afaq Hussain Khan.
Academic: BSc(Biology Group) - Lucknow University, Lucknow.
Field: MA(Kathak Dance) - IKSVV, Khairagad CHH. Ist class Ist rank
Nritya Prabhakar - Prayag Sangeet Samiti, Allahabad
Nritya Visharad - Bhatkhande Music University, Lucknow.
Awards and Achievements
- Registerd Member Of The International Dance Conference
- Invitee for Performance at the conference at Argos (Greece).
- All India dance seminar and conference by Sangeet Natak Academy, New Delhi and Kathak Kendra new Delhi
- Senior Fellow-ship by The Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India, for research. Her subject was based on 'Bal Samasya'
- Academy Award: (2001) by UP Sangeet Natak Academy, Lucknow for her contribution in the field of Kathak Dance.
- The distinguished achievement of the Academic Award was celebrated with a Special Music Programme of Kathakdance Recitals-composed, organised, participated, conducted and compered by all her disciples. This event was dedicated to her by disciples.
- A Comemorative postal stamp on Guru Lachhu Maharaj was released by the Ministry of Communication, Govt. of India, as a result of her Herculean efforts. A traditional Indian Ballet 'Nala-Damayanti' was directed and staged by her students on the occasion. This was in Acharya Lachhu Maharaj style.
- The Centenery Year Celebrations of Acharya Lachhu Maharaj 10 different Programmes were organized by Mrs. Savita and her disciples during the year, and all were dedicated to acharyaji.
- Acharya Lachhu Maharaj Memorial Classical Dance Competitions were held on All India basis, by her Institution 'Layashala' to mark the start and the end of the Centenery Year. The response was tremendous.
- Mrs. Savita is the Founder of the Institution, 'Layashala Lalit Kala Samiti' and works for the promotion of Art and Music in general, and Kathak Dance in particular. Her works has always inspired the veterans and helped the budding artists. Mrs Savita believes in the scope for new experiments in Kathak Dance without compromising with its basic pure form Mrs Savita improvised the performance techniques to create her own style.
Distinguished Productions of the Institution of Mrs.Savita Godbole
- Samudramanthana [A Ballet on myethological story]
- Pashupatinath [A Ballet on modern abstract poetry]
- Kathak Choreography [Traditional lucknow style]
- Journey [A Ballet on abstract modern theme]
- 'Samasya [A Ballet Based on research work of Mrs. Savita]
- Daksha-Yagya Dhwansa [A Ballet on myethological story]
The Important rolls, played by Mrs. Savita, under the direction of 'Acharya Lachhu Maharaj in Ballets Chandravali', 'Goutam Buddha' and others, are still remembered and praised by Experts and Scholars. Mrs Savita excelled to show her class while performing New Delhi, Lucknow, Kanpur, Jhansi, Agra, Banaras, Firozabad, Allahabad; Chimur, Armori, Hinganghat, Arvi, Katol, Pusad, Bhusaval, Nagpur, Wardha, Bombay, Miraj, Indore, Ujjain, Gwalior, Maheshwar, Khandwa, Jabalpur; Maheshwar, Mandleshwar, Kankaroli, Nathdwara and at many other places.
Some of her Distinguished Programmes and Performances
- Registered member of International Dance Council (of UNESCO)
- Invitee for performance at the conference at ARGOS (GREECE)
- All India Dance Seminar and Conference by Sangeet Natak Academy, New Delhi and Kathak Kendra, New Delhi
- Guru Lachhu Maharaj Memorial Centenery Celebrations Conference by UP Sangeet Natak Academy, Lucknow at Lucknow.
- Pt. Vishnu Digambar Sangeet Sammelan, at Latur
- Amir Khan Smruti Samaroha, by MP Kala Parishad, at Indore
- Sangeet Nritya Mahotsava, by SCZCC Nagpur at Nagpur
- Nritya Mahotsava by IKSVV Khairagad at Khairagad
- National Conference, by Swar Sadhana Samiti at Mumbai
- All India Conference by ABGMV Mandal, Miraj at Kanpur
- Kalika-Bindadeen Festival, at Wardha
- Kalidas Samaroha, at Ujjain / Maheshwar
- Bundelkhand Sangeet Samaroha, at Jhansi
Mrs. Savita Godbole,