Rinku Bhattacharya [ Kathak Exponent]
Born in Jaipur and brought up in Kolkata Rinku Bhattacharya is a well known exponent of classical Kathak dance.She had her training under Guru Laxmi Narayanji of Gunijan Khana of Jaipur ( Rajasthan) and her mother Smt Mallika Bhattacharya gold medalist in Kathak dance and disciple of Guru Achhan Maharaj. She has performed and choreographed classical dance and experimental fusion contemporary dance in various places in India and abroad, receiving appreciation from one & all with applause including the well known exponents of Kathak Guru Chitresh Das, Bela Arnab and Saroj Khan of the Bollywood film fraternity.
She has also performed in various television channels and choreographed dance programmes for companies like Seagrams, Vodafone, and Standard chartered bank. She has performed in New jersey and in North American Bengali conference held at Houston in 2006, Dance festival in North Carolina USA. Some of her memorable performances were with exponents such as the famous tabla maestro Sri Tanmoy Bose for the Indian Army in 2008, renowned Indian singer Usha Uthup in new Jersey for the Doctor's association of New Jersey in 2006 , Violin brothers in Calcutta Club in 2007, famous American hip hop singer Chris Rel in Taj Bengal,Kolkata in 2007, and the famous Bengali band Bhumi in Houston in 2006. Her rich experience to enthral and engross her audience, till the end, with her charming and graceful movements has always left an unforgettable impression on the audience.
"Now there is a bright star on the Kathak firmament. There was never a dull moment in her dance. Rinku follows the old Jaipur gharana and gave her best in Kalia Daman depicting the combat between Lord Krishna and Kalianag in Tandava style."
Footwork"(Down Town, The Statesman)
"I give my blessings and wish her good luck for a prospective future and hope that she gets more and more opportunities not only in India but also in abroad to prove her artistic ability to enchant the audience."
- Professor Bela Arnab, Nritya Baridhi, Udayshankar Professor, Department of Dance,
Dean, Faculty of Fine Arts (Rabindra Bharati University)
Educational Qualification and Work Experience:
- Graduation in Arts(Honours) from St Xavier's College in Kolkata and Masters degree in Political Science from Kolkata University.
- Along with her dance she has also worked as a Teamleader in Standard Charted bank and as a Deputy manager in HDFC bank .
- At present she is pursuing her dance career as a full time classical dance teacher and performer in Kolkata as well as in an American dance company "The Natya Academy" based in Durham, North Carolina to teach classical Kathak and contemporary dance to promote Indian culture in abroad.
Awards and Recognitions:
- Won North Carolina Adult Championship in the 2010 Boogie Woogie Dance Competition.
- Received Distinguished Classical Dance Performer Heritage Award for excellence in Kathak dance by the Heritage India Association of North Carolina in 2010.
- Certificate of honour from late Guru Bela Arnab (Dean of kathak dance division of Rabindra Bharati University.
- Appreciation for solo kathak dance performance in Gyan manch in kolkata by Pabitra Sarkar (ex vice chancellor of Rabindra Bharati University and other foreign dignitaries.
- Critics applause was published in “The Statesman”.
- Certificate of honour from Kundan Natya Sansad of Jaipur.
- Certificate of honour for dance performance from St Xavier's college.
- Won first prize in dance competition organised by Uttam Kumar Chalachitra Prasad Sansad.
- Won prize and scholarship for solo kathak performance in Rabindra Sadan from Ex governer of West Bengal Shri B D Pande.
- Won award of SCB Idol and a cheque of Rs 1.5 lakh in the NCPA hall of Mumbai for her exceptional performance of Kathak dance from the famous choreographer Saroj khan, film director Ken Ghosh and famous music director Jatin Lalit in the all India dance competition organised by Standard Chartered Bank with participation by more than 3000 artistes all over the country in 2006.
Greenwood Housing Cooperative Society,
Flat E-7, Block-E,
315B Upen Banerjee Street,
Parnasree, Kolkata- 700060