Natya Choodamani, Nrityaavibhoshan Shri G. Ratheesh Babu is a disciple of Kalaimamani Padmashri Adayar K. Laxman; Chennai is a highly acclaimed and renowned dancer, who continues to be totally involved in the art both as a teacher and a performer.
Ratheesh was introduced to the world of Indian Classical Dance at the age of five under the tutelage of GURU Kalanilayam Krishnan Kutty, Kerala and he learned his first steps in Mohiniattam. Then he moved a head and learned the intricacies of Bharatnatyam and Kuchippudi dance form under the able guidance of Smt. Amritam Gopinath, Aryakalanilayam. Then he moved to Chennai to specialize in Bharatnatyam under the guidance of Kalaimamani Padmashri Shri Adayar K. Laxman, Chennai.
He has displayed his immense talent by performing in all major Sabhas and festival in India and abroad. A graceful and gifted dancer, Ratheesh Babu is a classicist in the field of Bharatnatyam, Kuchipudi and Mohiniattam as a dancer, teacher and choreographer. He is the Founder Director of ”NRITHYATHI KALAKSHETRAM” - School of Indian Classical Dance; Affiliated to Indira Kala Sangeet Vishwavidyalaya; Khairagarh - C.G. having national repute.
For sheer geometry of lines and precise structure beauty of form, he has stretched his capacity for perfection to its utmost. By his astounding and exquisite dance dazed the audience with his scintillating performances in India and Abroad. His versatile talent and her gracious inner artistic beauty won wide acclaim from art lovers, connoisseurs & natyaacharyas for his spellbound performances and art critics as one of the best-recognized dancer.
He has also been adored with several prestigious awards from Govt, as well as renowned Cultural Samathi’s. He has staged approximately 700 plus shows both Solo and group dances.
He also conducts workshops & Imparts training through Nrithyathi’s Learning Centers located at Raipur, Bhilai, Durg, Nagpur, Vizag & Bangalore. He is a continuous learner and currently pursuing Diploma in Karnatic Music from Indira Kala Sangeet Vishwavidyalaya, Khairagarh. (C.G).
Awards and Honours
- Condered the tittle of “Natya Kala Choodamani” for yeoman service in the field of Bharathanatyam, Kuchippudi, Mohiniattam and folk dances – from Gana Mukundhapriya; Chennai in the year 2008.
- Nritya Vaibhawa Award from Akhil Bhartiya Sanskrutik Sangh. Pune (M.H.) May 2006.
- Lifetime Achievement Award by Himachal Tourism & All India Artist Association Shimla (H.P.) in the year 2005
- Awarded with Rashtriya Samaikya Bharat Gaurav Satkar by Madras Telgu Academy, Madras (Spirit of Unity Concert) in the year 2005
- Consecutive First Prize in group dance and Solo Dance in All India Dance Competition held at Shimla from 1992 to 2007.
- Balraj Sahani National Award by All India Artist Association; Mumbai - Shimla (H.P.). in the year 2003.
- Awarded with International Man of the Year 2001 by American Biographical Society, South Carolina (”WHO is WHO“, Prestigious International Magazine); USA in the year 2001.
- Gopi Krishna National Award from All India Artist Association, Shimla-1999.
- Received ”Rajhans“ National Award for best dance director for the year 1995-1996 and also in 1997-1998 from Kalanilayam, Chillakalurpetta, Guntur.
- Received Nrithyakala National Award for Best Dance Director in the year 1994 by All India Artist Association, Shimla.
- Honoured with ”G.C. Lagan Award” for outstanding performance in the field of dance from All India Artist Association, Mumbai.
- Gopi Krishna National Award from All India Artist Association, Mumbai –2007.
- Best Istitut of Indian Classical Dance 2007 from All India Artist Association, Mumbai.
- Bharat Nritya Gaurav Samman-2008 Navya Nataka Samiti Hyderabad A.P.
- Natyachoodamani from Ganamukundhapriya Chennai on December season 2008.
- Empaneled in ICCR as a Bharathanatyam Solo Dancer.
Major Stage Performances
Participated in more than 700 Plus Sabhas and Cultural Festivals in India and Abroad.
- Participated in FUSION 97 International Theatre Festival held at Brussels, Liege and Paris.
- Participated in ISPHER 97 International Cultural Program at Seoul (South Korea).
National & State Performances:
- Group Performances of Mohiniattam and Bharatnatyam at Chakradhar Festival - Raigarh organized by Department of Culture and Tourism; Govt. of C.G. in the year 2006
- Represented Bhilai Steel Plant in All India Dance Competition at Shimla for consecutively 14 Years from 1992 to 2007.
- Performed in South Indian Cultural Association at Hyderabad (A.P.) in the year 2005
- Bharatnatyam Performance at Pune Festival- Pune (M.H.) in the year 2004.
- Kalidas Samaroh at Nagpur Conducted by MTDC 2000 & 2004
- Staged Ballet in Ayyappa Festival – Nagpur in the year 2002.
- Solo Presentation of Bharatnatyam Dance in “Bhouramdev Festival”organized by Department of Culture and Tourism; Govt. of C.G. in the year 2001
- Choreographed and Performed in Youth Festival at Nagpur on 2001.
- Performed in Caliber - 99 in an Indo – Soviet Infidnet at Nagpur University 1999.
- Composed and Staged in Mahabalipuram Dance Festival at Mahabalipuram, Chennai 1998.
- Performed in Ayyappa Festival in Kovai (Tamil Nadu) 1997.
- Participated as Nattuvangam and Vocal accompanist for Bharatnatyam performance in YUVA MAHOTSAVA 1997 at Latur by South Central Zone Cultural Centre, Nagpur, In 1998 at Ratnagiri (M.H.) and Vijayanagaram (A.P.)
- Performed in ”UniFest” an Inter University Festival in Kerela.
- Participated as vocal accompanist for Bharatnatyam performance in INTER UNIVERSITY YOUTH Festival 1996 held at Sagar (M.P.) and felicitated with first prize.
- Performed in “Nrityotsava” in All India Dance Festival at Bhilai.
- Stage performance in Rajim Lochan Mahotsav from 2002-2004 (Chhattisgarh).
- Stage performance in Pollachi Tamizhisai Sangam Pollachi from 2005 to 2009.
- Balijatra festival at cuttuck 2009
- Performed solo Bharathanatyam and Kuchppudi at Indira Gandhi Manav Sangrahalaya at Bhopal on 23rd October 2009.
- Performed at Angul(Orissa) Govt. Fest. Kuchippudi and Bharathanatyam, 21st and 23rd Nov’2009.